| November 2010
RETURN TO HOME PAGE
By Pat Rose
Cookie-decorating parties, carolers, cable-car rides, visits from Santa, and a menorah lighting are just a few of the many events being staged for the upcoming holiday season in Noe Valley.
“24 HoliDays on 24th Street,” sponsored by the Noe Valley Merchants and Professionals Association, will run Dec. 1 to 24, and will combine holiday events hosted by the merchants in past years, such as the Noel Stroll, with a new lineup of festivities.
“’24 HoliDays on 24th Street’ is a culmination of all the different things that have been going on for the past few years by different groups of people,” says organizer David Eiland of Just for Fun. “It just made sense to pull it all together under one umbrella group and make it a little more organized. With Hanukkah starting on the 3rd this year, it came together as a month of celebration. We really hope the community will get into the spirit of all the holidays and come out and enjoy the neighborhood.”
Eiland is working with Dominic Russo from Russo Music (opening soon in the old Harry Aleo space) and local schools to bring music, dance, and art events to 24th Street throughout the month of December. “This is a month for the community to come out and celebrate and shop and eat locally. We have all struggled this year, and it’s just time to feel good and support each other, so we can become stronger as a community in the future,” says Eiland.
Here are a few of the family-friendly December events planned so far:
* The Noel Stroll on 24th Street, featuring carolers and musicians, on Saturday, Dec. 4, 4 to 7 p.m.
* “Yule Rides” (hayrides in a horse-drawn cart) on Dec. 4, 4 to 7 p.m., and Dec. 11, noon to 5 p.m.
* The annual Menorah Lighting, co-hosted by Just for Fun and Chabad of Noe Valley at 24th and Noe streets, on Sunday, Dec. 5, from 4 to 6:30 p.m.
* A trunk show at Gallery of Jewels on the weekend of Dec. 3 and 4.
* “Star Wars Arts and Crafts” with an artist from the Star Wars franchise, hosted by Edward Jones on Dec. 10.
* Face-painting at Terra Mia Pottery Studio on Dec. 11.
* Silk-dyeing of scarves and ties at Just for Fun on Dec. 17.
* A cookie-decorating party hosted by BJ Droubi on Dec. 18.
* Fire engine rides on Dec. 18, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., featuring holiday sounds.
* A visit from Santa on Dec. 18, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., at Zephyr Real Estate.
A poster of the official calendar of events will be posted in local merchants’ windows just before the Thanksgiving holiday. For a complete schedule, visit www.noevalleymerchants.com.